Best Pop Culture References to Weed
It’s been a long time since “Reefer Madness”. Through the years, depictions of weed in film – from Cheech & Chong to Harold & Kumar – have become mainstream. The folks over at Eclectic Method have a killer video with some of the most memorable scenes. Below is a list of the Uber Apparatus staff’s top 14 Weed Movies…. if you are into that sort of thing.
- Fritz the Cat (1972)
A hypocritical swinging college student cat raises hell in a satiric vision of various elements on the 1960’s.
- Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
A story of a group of California teenagers who enjoy malls, sex and rock n’ roll.
- Dazed and Confused (1993)
The adventures of incoming high school and junior high students on the last day of school, in May of 1976.
- True Romance (1993)
Clarence marries hooker Alabama, steals cocaine from her pimp, and tries to sell it in Hollywood, while the owners of the coke try to reclaim it.
- Friday (1995)
Craig and Smokey are two guys in Los Angeles hanging out on their porch on a Friday afternoon, smoking and drinking, looking for something to do. Encounters with neighbors and other friends over the course of the day and night, and their ensuing antics, make up the rest of the movie.
- The River’s Edge (1996)
A high school slacker kills his girlfriend and shows off her dead body to his friends. However, the friends’ reaction is almost as ambiguous and perplexing as the crime itself.
- Half Baked (1998)
The story of three not so bright men who come up with a series of crazy schemes to get a friend out of jail.
- Big Lebowski (1998)
“Dude” Lebowski, mistaken for a millionaire Lebowski, seeks restitution for his ruined rug and enlists his bowling buddies to help get it.
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)An oddball journalist and his psychopathic lawyer travel to Las Vegas for a series of psychedelic escapades.
- Saving Grace (2000)A small-town English widow, facing financial troubles after her husband’s suicide, turns to agriculture of an illegal kind.
- Smiley Face (2007)After a young actress unknowingly eats her roommate’s pot cupcakes, her day becomes a series of misadventures.
- The Wackness (2008)It’s the summer of 1994, and the streets of New York are pulsing with hip-hop. Set against this backdrop, a lonely teenager named Luke Shapiro spends his last summer before university selling marijuana throughout New York City, trading it with his unorthodox psychotherapist for treatment, while having a crush on his stepdaughter.
- Pineapple Express (2008)
A process server and his marijuana dealer wind up on the run from hitmen and a corrupt police officer after he witness his dealer’s boss murder a competitor while trying to serve papers on him.
- This is the End (2013)
While attending a party at James Franco’s house, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel and many other celebrities are faced with the apocalypse.